Friday, June 8, 2012

for the love of sleep

With any new baby, the topic of sleep arises. When I was about 7 months pregnant with Baby Awesome, I became addicted to Happiest Baby on the Block and Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Child. I was bound and determined to do things "the right way".

Now that my son is 5 months old, I'm starting to figure things out in regards to his sleep.

1. No matter how many sleep books and sleep sites I'm on, it doesn't make a difference if you don't apply the technique.

2. I still haven't figured out his naps. He's the best 30 minute napper!

2. Putting your baby to bed awake but drowsy allows them to fall asleep on their own = allowing them to put themselves back to sleep in the middle of the night.

3. For us, rice cereal DID make a difference. While I wanted to wait until 6 months for any type of food, at 4 months we started him on rice cereal, 1 TBLS.

4. Not rushing to him every time he makes a peep. This was probably my biggest downfall. I never wanted my child to fuss nor cry. While he certainly was happy, mom here was exhausted! 


Five months in and Baby Awesome's sleep is dramatically improving. Over a 12 hour sleep period, he's up twice to eat, normally only getting me up once. He falls asleep in his crib and on occasion, I hear him going from one sleep cycle to the next. While I can't wait for him to sleep through the night, I'll take the few night feedings over multiple!

No comments:

Post a Comment